Learn how to use your air fryer to roast a whole chicken for a wholesome from-scratch dinner in no time.
With just three ingredients, roasting chicken in the airfryer could not be easier. It’s a set and forget meal because the airfryer does all the hard work. Simply roast or steam some vegetables to serve with it.
The skin becomes so incredibly crispy and delicious while the inside stays so nice and juicy.
The size of your airfryer will determine the size of the chicken you can cook. Adjust your cooking times accordingly.
Never throw away the bones or carcass. You can turn the scraps into a wonderful bone broth and use this as the base for another meal.
- 1 – 1.5 kg whole free range chicken
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Allow the chicken to drain over the sink.
- Mix the olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken and rub the mixture over the skin.
- Place the chicken in the airfryer basket, breast side down.
- Fry for 30 minutes at 180 degrees celsius.
- Use tongs to turn the chicken, and fry for a further 15-30 minutes, depending on size of your chicken, at 180 degrees celsius.
- You will know the chicken is cooked when the flesh between the leg bone and the body is no longer pink and the juices are clear. You can also use a thermometer to check the internal temperature has reached 75 degrees Celsius.
Note: I can just fit a 1.5 kg chicken into my airfryer, but I prefer to roast a smaller one to ensure the chicken isn’t touching the top element and burning. If you have a larger machine you may be able to fit a larger bird. Always adjust your cooking times to suit the size and follow manufacturer instructions.