Learn how to make these simple yet delicious marinated lamb cutlets with a zingy minted yogurt sauce.
Possibly the most tasty lamb recipe ever
This recipe is really simple yet delivers so much flavour. It’s literally like a party in your mouth. The combination of lemon, olive oil and oregano is a classic one, inspired by our trip to Greece and all the wonderful flavours we experienced there.
Choice cut lamb
Lamb cutlets can be expensive, but I love how tender they are. Cooking meat on the bone helps it retain moisture and the kids love being able to hold on to their chops.
I always look out to see when lamb cutlets are marked down at my grocery store and freeze them for later. By stockpiling this way, we can afford to eat choice cuts, even on a budget.
I prefer to buy cutlets that aren’t frenched. They may not look as dainty but they have more fat and fat equals flavour.
Fast cooking in the air fryer
I like to cook my lamb cutlets in the air fryer so they cook really fast and I can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. The air fryer cooks the lamb beautifully and the fat becomes so crispy.
You don’t need to leave this marinade on the lamb overnight to achieve knock-out flavour, just a few minutes prior to cooking will do.
If you don’t have an air fryer, I would recommend cooking these cutlets on a cast iron fry pan with a splatter-cover, or on the BBQ.
We like to eat our lamb when it’s cooked but just a little pink still. Cook them for longer if you prefer well done.
- 600 grams lamb cutlets (approx 8 large cutlets)
- juice of one lemon, reserve half for sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup natural yogurt
- handful fresh mint leaves, about 20 leaves
- reserved lemon juice
- Combine the lemon juice, oregano, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl
- Add the lamb cutlets and coat them well in the marinade. Allow them to rest for 5 minutes or so, or longer in the fridge if you have time
- Place lamb cutlets in the air fryer and cook for 15 – 20 minutes at 190 degrees celsius, or according to your manufacturers instructions
- Meanwhile, blend the natural yogurt, fresh mint and lemon juice until smooth to create your sauce
- Serve the lamb with steamed seasonal vegetables, crispy roasted potatoes and yogurt sauce.
Copyright: Franke & Co. 2020