Learn how to cook crispy homemade pizza scrolls using butter puff pastry.
This quick and easy recipe is great for parties and lunchboxes. Make a double batch and freeze ahead so you always have a tasty treat on hand.
We use Pampas Butter Puff Pastry to make this recipe because it’s made with real butter, not vegetable oil, and it’s so convenient. The pastry puffs beautifully, tastes great and is so crispy.
Fill with your favourite toppings
This versatile recipes allows you to choose your favourite pizza toppings and sneak extra veggies into those kiddos.
- 3 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 140 g tin tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 4 rashers bacon, lightly fried and finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Other diced toppings of your choice such as capsicum, onion, spinach and mushroom
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius and prepare two large baking trays.
- Mix the tomato paste, minced garlic and Italian herbs.
- Spread the tomato mixture thinly across each sheet of pastry.
- Sprinkle the bacon, shredded cheese and other toppings over each sheet of pastry, leaving about 2 cm at the end to secure the roll.
- Starting with the end of the pastry that has the toppings, roll the pastry up tightly and then slice the roll into 8 even slices. Lay the slices on the baking trays.
- Lightly beat the egg and milk to make the egg wash.
- Brush the sides and top of the scrolls with egg wash using a pastry brush.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Note: It is easiest to work with the pasty while it’s still slightly cold yet pliable. You can microwave the bacon between sheets of kitchen paper for 60 seconds instead of frying it.