Meet Emily from Pineapple Farmhouse and find out more about our blog for real food recipes, simple living and a natural handmade home.
Hello, I’m Emily!
Welcome to our blog Pineapple Farmhouse where I share our simple lifestyle, wholesome home cooking and handmade home. Follow along for real food recipes, simple living ideas and handmade home inspiration. Thank you for joining us!
I’m a mum of two, wife and entrepreneur with a love of all things cooking, sewing, craft, gardening and decorating. You’ll find me buzzing around the kitchen, pottering about our garden or locked away in my sewing room.
My husband Justin and I live in the laid back town of Yeppoon in Central Queensland. This idyllic seaside town is where we’ve decided to raise our two beloved children, Elsie and William.
My personality can best be described as fun, adventurous, and passionate. I am also highly impulsive, the type-A organised typed and a bit of a work-a-holic.
A Love Of The Simple Life
My ancestors were farming pioneers and some of Queensland’s earliest settlers. I think this is why I feel such a strong connection to the land and homesteading way of life. My family’s roots are in farming and I relish in the stories of the ‘old days and old ways’.
I grew up in the idyllic leafy outer suburbs of Brisbane. My sister and I spent hours playing with our chickens, making mud pies in the backyard and riding our bikes. Mum was a great home cook and dad could fix anything. During these early years I developed a great love of the natural world and making things by hand.
My Journey To Simple Living
When my children came along, I found myself struggling to cope. I found it hard to balance the responsibilities of #mumlife with work and my personal wellbeing. I experienced burn out, poor health, weight gain and depression.
This journey lead me to develop a keen interest in slow living, holistic wellbeing and mindfulness. It was then that I started making some big changes towards a simpler way of life.
Why I Decided To Become A Blogger
After working in the corporate arena for 10 years I decided I’d had enough. Burnt out, I wanted to spend more time at home and have the freedom to do the things I loved.
As someone with an entrepreneurial spirit, I always dreamed of starting my own business. The trouble was, I had two kids under five and a husband who worked away. I concluded that I needed to find a flexible business model that would fit my lifestyle.
That’s why I chose blogging. It offered me the ability to create my ideal work life balance, embracing home life alongside business success.
Why I Started A Blog About Simple Living
My passion for simple living and a desire to help other mums drove me to start my blog. Everyday I am able to do the things I love, share my skills and support other mums. For that privilege I am extremely grateful.
FUN FACTS ABOUT ME
- As a girl I was a competitive Irish dancer.
- At school I was a shot-put champion.
- I can speak a little German, “Hallo, ich bin Emily”.
- Both of my babies were born well after their due dates (they must have liked life on the inside).
- Spiders terrify me beyond words.
- My husband has converted me to becoming a country music lover.
My Favourite Simple Living Blogs
- FARMHOUSE ON BOONE. This is my all-time favourite go-to blog for simple living inspiration. You can Find Farmhouse on Boone on Facebook, Instagram and the Podcast, Simple Farmhouse Life.
- SLOW YOUR HOME. The Slow Home Podcast was the first simple living Podcast I listened to and I became totally hooked.
- MELISSA K NORRIS. Melissa has a terrific blog about simple living and homesteading alongside her Podcast, Pioneering Today.