Learn how to roast chicken drumsticks quickly and without mess in the air fryer. This simple whole food recipe takes budget-friendly chicken drumsticks to the next level with a fresh and zingy lemon-herb marinate. The result is deliciously succulent roast chicken with crispy skin.
Why you'll love air fryer chicken drumsticks
Cheap as chippies!
With the price of living constantly on the rise, I'm always on the look out for budget friendly ways to serve up delicious whole-food family dinners. Eating cheaper cuts of meat can make a big difference to your weekly grocery bill.
Conventionally raised chicken drumsticks are often on special for just $3 per kilogram, which is pretty hard to beat. Even free range chicken drumsticks are relatively affordable, at around $6 per kilogram. In comparison, conventionally raised lamb cutlets are usually $43 per kilogram!
I love how bone-in cuts of meat like these chicken drumsticks always stays nice and tender when cooked. Because the skin is intact, this helps to retain moisture.
Roasting chicken drumsticks in the air fryer is one of the easiest ways to get dinner on the table with less cleaning up and no nasty oven mess! #winning.
Other benefits of air fryer cooking
- I can simply set and forget incase I get distracted or called away
- crispy chicken skin!
- quick cooking helping keen the chicken moist and tender.
Watch the video tutorial
- Air fryer
- Large bowl
- Common kitchen utensils such as measuring spoons
I am not exaggerating when I say this is a life changing appliance. I can slow cook bone broth, make my own long-fermented yogurt, pressure cook and air fry all in one appliance.
Plus this air fryer is huge! With dual-layer cooking, I can fit twice as much as my old air fryer.
Air fryer chicken drumsticks ingredients
- Chicken drumsticks
- Dried oregano
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
See recipe printable for quantities.
Combine the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well until the chicken is well coated.
Place the chicken into the air fryer basket. Cook for 30 minutes at 190 degrees Celcius (374 degrees Fahrenheit).
Turn the chicken and, if using a dual level air fryer, swap the chicken from the bottom level to the top level and vice versa. Cook for a further 10 minutes at 190 degrees Celcius (374 degrees Fahrenheit), or until cooked.
Serve with an extra sprinkle of salt and fresh herbs.
Hint: If your air fryer can't fit all the drumsticks, cook them in multiple batches and reduce the cooking time for each batch accordingly. Cooking time will vary depending on the air fryer and quantity of ingredients. The safe internal temperature for cooked chicken is 73.9 °C (165 °F). Always check before serving.
- 800 grams (1.3 pounds) or approximately 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Fresh herbs to serve, optional
- Combine the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well until the chicken is well coated.
- Place the chicken into the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 190 degrees Celcius (374 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Turn the chicken and if using a dual level air fyer, swap the chicken on the bottom level to the top level and vice versa.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes at 190 degrees Celcius (374 degrees Fahrenheit), or until cooked.
Cooking time will vary depending on the air fryer and quantity of ingredients. The safe internal temperature for cooked chicken is 73.9 °C (165 °F). Always check before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 280mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 33g
This information is approximate and should be used as a guide only.
Thanks for following along. If you love this recipe please give it five stars in the recipe card and leave me a review there. Your support means so much and helps me share my recipes for free.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. According to healthline.com chicken is a good source of key nutrients including protein, niacin, selenium, and phosphorus*. Cooking chicken in the air fryer produces a crispy skin without deep frying, making it a healthier option.
Cooking time depends on three variables; the amount of chicken you're cooking (and the size of each piece), the true cooking temperature of the air fryer, and the configuration of the air fryer unit.
For this recipe it takes a total of 40 minutes to cook 800 grams/6 chicken drumsticks in my Instant Pot Duo Crisp Air Fryer, using dual layer cooking and changing the cooking position after 30 minutes.
I have found that free range chicken drumsticks are often smaller in individual size, than conventionally farmed chicken. If you're cooking extra large chicken drumsticks you will need to increase the cooking time.
Yes! Chicken drumsticks are perfect for air frying due to their convenient size and the skin being intact, resulting in deliciously crispy skin while remaining moist on the inside.
Cooking time will vary depending on the air fryer and quantity of ingredients. The safe internal temperature for cooked chicken is 73.9 °C (165 °F). Always check with a cooking thermometer before serving. Other signs of doneness include firm, white to light pink coloured flesh, with clear juices running out.
Follow this recipe to cook chicken legs (drumsticks) in an Instant Pot Duo Crisp. The steps are as follows:
1. Prepare the chicken legs (drumsticks).
2. Place the Inner Pot in the Cooking Base.
3. Place the Multi-Level Air Fryer Basket on the Air Fryer Basket Base and place both parts in the Inner Pot. Tip: Lightly spray with olive oil to avoid sticking.
4. Add a single layer of chicken legs (3 - 4 pieces).
5. Add the Broil/Dehydrating Tray for dual layer cooking. Tip: Lightly spray with olive oil to avoid sticking.
6. Add the remaining chicken legs.
7. Place the Air Fryer Lid on the Cooking Base.
8. Select the Air Fry Smart Program and change the temperature to 190 degrees Celsius/374 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. Change the time to 30 minutes and select Start to commence cooking. Ignore the turn food reminder.
10. After 30 minutes, remove the chicken drumsticks and swap the bottom pieces to the top level.
11. Replace the lid. Select the Air Fry Smart Program and change the time to 10 minutes.
12. After 10 minutes check to see if the chicken is cooked. If longer cooking is required, repeat step 11 until done.